IgniteLab is a student enrichment program that supports young musicians to develop the skills and knowledge to create successful and sustainable careers.
Our vision is to develop musicians who can thrive on and beyond the stage.
IgniteLab offers comprehensive professional development for musicians through arts entrepreneurship education. The initiative augments the traditional conservatory education, encouraging students to develop a mindset of autonomy, develop enterprise skills and to inspire diverse career outcomes.
IgniteLab is delivered through a range of curriculum, online resources, workshops and seminars covering a wide range of topics relevant to professional development and the creation of sustainable careers in music.
In the early years outside of uni I had already started Speak Percussion so a big part of that was pushing the company forwards. Some of the skills I needed were around career management, writing grants, the idea of a media release and how that might impact on the success of a performance and programming concerts rather than just playing in them. So the early years outside of uni were about understanding the mechanisms behind arts organisations, it was less about music and more about the mechanisms.
Founder and Artistic Director, Speak Percussion
Bachelor of Music Performance 2002
Semester 2 2017 program
- 17 August Build Your Teaching Studio
- 21 August IgniteLab and Musica Viva present Takacs Quartet Q&A
- 24 August Creativity Fund Showcase
- 31 August Make An Impact
- 07 September Bite Size Business: Cover Letters
- 14 September Bite Size Business : Resumes for music work
- 14 September Composed Documentary Screening + Panel Discussion (Australian Exclusive)
- 21 September Bite Size Business: Resumes for non-music work
- 25 September Pop Up Headshots with Daniele Martinie
- 05 October Bite Size Business: Musicians Business Basics
- 12 October Bite Size Business: Create A Career Roadmap
- 19 October Bite Size Business: What's Your Artistic Brand
Visit the IgniteLab Facebook page for current event details.
Susan de Weger
Associate Lecturer in Music (Entrepreneurship)