- Become a highly-skilled and highly-aware ensemble musician, and achieve a professional standard in your orchestral ensemble performance through studies at the Melbourne Conservatorium and practical internship with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra.
- Develop the confidence to perform at your peak under pressure in audition, recording, and performance settings.
- Understand and develop the mental and emotional capabilities necessary for consistent skill execution and positive performance experiences.
- Understand the inner workings of a professional symphony through direct exposure to the MSO’s administrative team.
- Establish the entrepreneurial skills to assist you in your early career as an orchestral musician.
- Learn to identify, prevent, and manage health risks associated with performing as an orchestral musician such that you can have a healthy, sustainable career.
Delivered through an industry partnership with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (MSO), the Master of Music (Orchestral Performance) provides elite-level specialist training for aspiring orchestral musicians in ways that are unique within the Asia-Pacific region.
At the core of this intensive two-year program are studies at the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music including private lessons, orchestral experience with the University of Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, intensive audition preparation subjects, and optimal performance training. This is offered alongside a Performance Practicum, which enables students to gain professional orchestral performance experience with Australia’s oldest symphony orchestra through work-integrated learning experiences with the MSO. Supporting Studies in musicians’ health, outreach and entrepreneurship, and orchestra administration complement the practical components to create a unique, holistic kind of orchestral training, preparing a new generation of highly trained musicians with the experience, skills, knowledge, and insight to transition into sustainable orchestral careers.
All students who are accepted into this program will be awarded generous scholarships to support them in their studies.