2019 Start Year intake Auditions
18 – 19 October (Melbourne)
There is the possibility of another round in December 2018 to be confirmed.
Undertaking a 20-minute audition is a requirement for all applicants. A brief interview will be incorporated into the audition process and held at the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music in Southbank Melbourne.
Applicants should prepare an audition program of 5 works, including three arias and two songs.
- One of the arias must be in Italian and one of the songs must be in English.
- The audition panel will hear a selection of the prepared repertoire.
- An accompanist will be provided – applicants do not need to bring their own accompanist.
Applicants should prepare an audition program of one solo piano piece or movement of a work (own choice) and the following operatic excerpts:
- Mozart - The Marriage of Figaro, Act 2 Finale (No. 16). Bärenreiter, pages 199 - 308 (in Italian).
- Puccini - La Bohème, opening to “Non sono in vena”. Schirmer, pages 1 - 58 (in Italian).
The candidate should be prepared to be conducted as they play and to sing any of the vocal lines in Italian while playing the score. The audition panel will hear a selection of the prepared repertoire.
Can't attend the audition? Recorded auditions
Applicants have the option to submit a recorded audition although live auditions are encouraged and preferred. There may be the option of an additional audition in December 2018 to be confirmed.
- Recordings must be made in one take, must be unedited and submitted in electronic format via the Audition Application Form in SlideRoom.
- Recorded auditions must be submitted no later than the first live audition date. You must indicate by 30 September 2018 if you are attending live or need to upload a recording via the SlideRoom form. You will be emailed about this separately after the application close date.
- Recordings once submitted are the property of the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music.