Visit our bulletin page for audition and interview updates.
Next audition and interview dates
- Auditions will be held: 20 November 2017 - 1 December 2017
At the audition applicants will be required to demonstrate their creative skills as composers by undertaking the following tasks (your audition will run for approximately 20 mins):
1. Interactive Composition folio
- be no more than 8 minutes in length comprising of 3-4 original works (either as full works or sections thereof). Your original work can be any source such as pop songs, concert music, band music, film music, laptop performance, electronic performance (such as EDM or hip hop genres), music theatre, music for dance or other media such as games, advertising and web use.
- Contain an audio-visual piece with an example of your original sound work for/with other media such as sound/music with film, animation, gaming, interactive media, theatre, dance, visual art and lighting design.
- contain a notated music score of at least one of your original works.
Applicants must bring their folio to the audition. Folio should be brought to the audition on an external hard drive, USB memory stick, or your own portable device such as phone, tablet or laptop.
Your folio will be evaluated on the level of compositional craft, creativity and technique, within an interactive composition context.
2. Creative task
- You will be asked to complete an interactive composition creative task.
Evaluated on your demonstrated ability to find creative music and sound solutions with other media in real time.
- You will need to perform one of your works (approximately 3 minutes)
- Your work may be instrumental, vocal, and/or electronic, such as a laptop performance or DJ mixing.
- You must also demonstrate your practical understanding of new music performance and your level of ability as a performer.
Evaluated on your demonstrated ability as a performer of new music
Please note: you will have very little set up time. Audio visual recordings must be presented in QuickTime format (for film/ video) via external hard drive or USB memory stick, or with a playback device such as an iPod, iPad or laptop. On the day, you will have the use of our piano and a bass or guitar amplifier and mini jack connection for device playback.
Recorded auditions: Can't attend the audition?
While we strongly recommend all applicants attend a live audition. Applicants who are overseas, interstate or in regional Victoria may alternatively submit a recorded audition via their Audition Application Form on SlideRoom. Please indicate your availability on SlideRoom.
You will need to upload to SlideRoom:
- Your Interactive Composition folio as per the guidelines outlined above with at least one score of your work.
- A recording of your video response to the creative task question
- A recorded video performance of one of your works as per the guidelines outlined above.
Applicants will be sent instructions on how to upload recorded auditions and folio after application closing date.
Recorded audition due date: 17 November 2017