The composition program has strong links with the wider musical community notably Australian National Academy Music (ANAM), Melbourne Symphony Orchestra and Melbourne Recital Centre. Recent opportunities include:
- Annual BMus Honours composer workshop with the University of Melbourne Orchestra
- Annual reading and recording sessions for postgraduate students with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra
- Opportunities to collaborate with MCM ensembles (such as Big Band, Percussion Ensemble, Brass Ensemble, Symphonic Winds including via the Honours year subject)
- Recurrent opportunities with ensembles in the wider community (such as Zelman Symphony and Choral at Monsalvat)
- In-house workshops with professional artists and ensembles such as Marshall McGuire, Syzygy Ensemble, Halcyon Ensemble as well as MCM performance staff
MCM offers funding for all postgraduate students. For composers, this funding may be used for interstate or international travel to attend performances of their music or to record works for folio purposes.
Each year two graduating students are chosen to receive a commission to compose a work for the Melbourne Recital Centre’s Local Heroes Series.
Scholarships and awards
- Albert H Maggs Composition Award
- Dorian Le Gallienne Prize for Composition
- Adolph Spivakovsky Scholarship for Composition of Music
- Esther Rofe Composition Award
- Catherine Mary Sullivan Bequest
- Dr Allan Zavod Composition Award
New Music Studio
The New Music Studio presents an opportunity for students, staff and alumni to collaborate, compose, curate and perform new works together, to engage with major international artists, and to connect with the public via performance.
Each week, both postgraduates and undergraduates in the composition major meet for seminars from visiting composers, group lessons and post-graduate student presentations. Past guests have included Mark Applebaum, Anne Boyd, Martin Bresnick, Eve De Castro-Robinson, Brett Dean, Andrew Ford, Don Freund, Detlev Glanert, Philip Glass, Barbara Hannigan, Gordon Kerry, Stephen Lias, Liza Lim, John McCabe, Richard Mills, Kate Neal, Steve Reich, Terry Riley, Andrew Schultz, Harry Sparnaay, Peteris Vasks and Carl Vine.
Composition at the MCM also has a number of industry partnerships: